World great people celebrity. I am Irish please kiss me. Famous people you didn't know were Irish, Surprising Irish Celebs, You may be surprised to learn that some of your favorite figures can trace their roots to the country. You may not have realized that these celebs can trace their roots back to the Emerald Isle.
Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey is one of many stars you might be surprised to learn has a little bit o' the Irish in them! During an interview, the music superstar joked about her mixed heritage: "My mother is Irish, my father is black and Venezuelan, and me -- I'm tan, I guess."
President Barack Obama
President Obama He may be the country's first African-American president, but Barack Obama is actually part Irish, too. Though his father was from Kenya, his Caucasian mother had Irish roots (among other European ancestry) and the president's great-great-great-grandfather reportedly emigrated from Ireland around 1850.
Christina Aguilera
Pop star Christina Aguilera was raised by an Ecuadorian father and an Irish-American mom, but said she has faced criticism for not being "Latina enough" over the years. "I've dealt with that [criticism] my whole life," she said in an interview with Latina magazine earlier this year. "I don't speak the language fluently. And I'm split right down the middle, half Irish and half Ecuadorean. I should not have to prove my ethnicity
Ben Stiller
Ben Stiller's famous parents, Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara, are both Jewish, but his mom is actually Irish-Catholic and converted to Judaism after marrying Jerry. To blend the two backgrounds, the Stiller family reportedly serves green matzoh on St. Patrick's Day! Mazel-tov-Erin-go-bragh!
Alicia Keys
Singer Alicia Keys has a variety of ethnicities in her background and though most people think she’s more Latin than Irish, that’s not the case. "Actually I'm not Latina, even though I would love to be and many people do think I am. A lot of people believe I'm part Jamaican, though I'm not," she told Minnesota's Star Tribune in 2008. I'm definitely black and Italian and a little Irish or Scottish. Being of mixed background influences .
Robert DeNiro

In the 1990 classic "Goodfellas," Robert DeNiro plays Jimmy Conway, a mobster who can never become a “made” man because of his Irish background. In real life, if DeNiro ever wanted to join the Mafia (because who knows if this acting thing is going to work out), he'd face the same problem since -- despite his very Italian last name and the fact he was given Italian citizenship a few years back -- DeNiro has a variety of ethnicities ...
Gwen Stefani

Kiss her, she's Irish! No Doubt frontwoman Gwen Stefani may have gotten her Italian last name from her father, but her mother -- Patti Flynn -- is part Irish.
Harrison Ford

Though the world knows all about the "Indiana Jones" star's Jewish background thanks to Adam Sandler's “Hanukkah Song” ("Harrison Ford's a quarter Jewish--not too shabby!"), the 69-year-old is actually half Irish on his father's side. "[I've inherited] my father's work ethic and my mother's insecurities. My father is Irish and my mother is Jewish," Ford told The Guardian in 2008. "The only thing that held the family together is that..
John Travolta

Since actor John Travolta rose to fame playing iconic characters like Vinnie Barbarino on the '70s sitcom "Welcome Back Kotter," Danny Zuko in the musical film "Grease," and Tony Manero in the disco-centric "Saturday Night Fever," the 58-year-old actor has always been linked with his Italian roots. While he is Italian on his father’s side, his mother is 100 percent Irish, and he was raised in a predominantly Irish .
Rosario Dawson

Exotic-looking actress Rosario Dawson has a long list of ethnic roots, but, according to an answer she tweeted to a fan's question last year, "I'm more Irish than anything." Her mother is Puerto Rican and Afro-Cuban descent, while her biological father is a mix of Irish and Native American.
1850.
Leona Lewis

British songstress Leona Lewis was born in England, but "The X Factor" winner is of Afro-Guyanese descent via her father and has Welsh, Italian, and some Irish blood in her as well.
John Stamos

Hunky actor John Stamos has always touted his Greek heritage and is even a current spokesperson for a brand of Greek yogurt, but the former "Full House" star can trace his roots to Ireland as well. Though his dad was born in Greece, his mother is both Irish and English.
Charlie Sheen

Despite Charlie Sheen's Spanish family name -- his famous father, Martin, was born Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez -- they're quite Irish. Martin is actually a citizen of Ireland thanks to his mother, Mary Ann Phelan. And the country is so proud of its Hollywood offspring (Martin, that is. We're not so sure about Charlie) that last year a group of the Emerald Isle residents took to Facebook to encourage Sheen to run for president. Would that make Charlie the country's first son?
Comments
Post a Comment