Tim Tebow's attorneys sent a cease and desist letter to the folks at Cubby Tees who are making these T-shirts, according to TMZ:
Tebow's attorneys put it this way: "The Merchandise makes it appear
as if Mr. Tebow actually endorses Cubby Tees and its products." Where
that actually happens is a bit of a mystery.
The shirt, as you can see, remixes the Jets logo
to a more Jesus-friendly theme. The "NY" is replaced with "MY" and the
"JETS" is replaced with "JESUS." In addition, what's normally a
football at the bottom of the logo is now that Jesus fish thing I
always see on bumper stickers.
And yes, when you think of Jesus and the Jets together, you probably
think of Tebow, but the shirt itself contains absolutely no Tebow
references. I am neither a theologian nor a lawyer, but I don't think
Tebow is the only one allowed to claim Jesus as "My Jesus." But again,
I'm not sure exactly how close Tebow and Jesus are. I could be wrong
about that.
It's not the first time something like this has happened, either. Jerseys like these have existed for years.
The Cubby Tees people specialize in fun sports-themed T-shirts ‒ others you may enjoy include this Rob Gronkowski special, or perhaps this new RGIII apparel.
Given their other shirts, I wouldn't interpret this as necessarily
making fun of Tebow, but I'd doubt that they were 100 percent
religiously motivated, either.
I'd have thought Tebow would've liked this shirt ‒ especially after he once endorsed people wearing No. 15 "JESUS" jerseys in Denver,
as long as their heart was in the right place. Again, I don't see the
infringement here ‒ there's no likeness of Tebow, and his name isn't on
it anywhere. It seems to be for people who love the Jets and Jesus.
In the end, I think the cease-and-desist serves only to give loads
and loads of free publicity to the Cubby people, and probably sells a
lot of T-shirts. In the end, the people from Cubby Tees aren't backing
down -- per the TMZ story, they sent a response to Tebow's
representatives, stating that the design "shares nothing with Mr. Tebow
except for promotion of a common Lord and Savior."